When a motor vehicle accident causes serious injury, the physical, emotional, and financial repercussions can be devastating to victims and their families. If you or a loved one has been hurt due to someone else’s negligence, you may be able to recover damages. Our personal injury attorneys at the Lynn Law Firm, LLP are well-versed in New York automobile accident law. We offer legal representation and experience you can trust and fight to help you recover maximum compensation for your injuries and losses.
Common Injuries Sustained in Car Accidents
From rear-end collisions to crashes involving tractor-trailers, all types of auto accidents have the potential to cause injury. Common automobile accident injuries include:
- Broken or crushed bones
- Neck and back injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Soft tissue injuries
- Organ damage
- Lacerations and scarring
- Psychological conditions such as PTSD and anxiety
Injured victims may require extensive, long-term medical treatment such as surgery, hospital stays, rehabilitation, and ongoing nursing care. In cases involving permanent disability, costly home modifications may be required as well. Our auto accident attorneys know how to accurately value your claim and work toward results that protect your health and financial future.
No-Fault Auto Insurance in New York
New York is a no-fault car insurance state, which means a driver’s own insurance pays for their medical bills and certain other out-of-pocket expenses, regardless of who was at fault for an accident. Mandatory minimum coverage includes $50,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) per person. Other minimum requirements include:
- Liability coverage of $25,000 for bodily injury per person, $50,000 for bodily injury per accident, and $10,000 for property damage per accident
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage of $25,000 for bodily injury per person, and $50,000 for bodily injury per accident
It’s also important to keep in mind that PIP does not cover damages like pain and suffering or emotional distress. Our automobile accident law firm evaluates and pursues all available sources of compensation on behalf of our clients.
Recovering Damages in Car Accident Claims
There are two basic types of damages you may recover in an automobile accident claim. Economic damages include past and future medical bills, lost wages, property damage, and other accident-related expenses. Non-economic damages like pain and suffering, mental anguish, diminishment of quality of life, and loss of enjoyment or consortium may be more significant than economic damages, but can be harder to quantify.
Although New York does not put a cap on the amount of non-economic damages you may receive, you can only file a claim for them if you’ve sustained a serious injury, including:
- Dismemberment or amputation
- Significant disfigurement
- Broken bones
- Organ loss
- Impairment of a body function or system
- Loss of a fetus
- An injury that prevents a person from performing their usual and daily activities for at least 90 days out of the 180 days immediately following the accident
If you’ve lost a loved one in an automobile accident that was caused by negligence, you may be able to file a wrongful death claim. Each case is unique. The dollar amount of compensation to which you may be entitled depends on the specific circumstances of your claim.
We Handle All Types of Motor Vehicle Accident Cases
Car crash injury claims can be complex. Our car accident attorneys in Syracuse, NY are well-prepared to take on any challenges that come our way. We also rely on qualified professionals such as investigators, accident reconstructionists, and medical experts to help us build strong cases. We’ve successfully recovered millions of dollars in complex cases involving:
- Construction vehicle accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Tractor-trailer accidents
- Snow plow accidents
- Crashes involving police and rescue vehicles
- School bus accidents
- Accidents caused by improper or defective road design, signage, or traffic control devices
- Bike and pedestrian accidents
- Dram shop claims against bars and restaurants serving intoxicated patrons who cause injury
Statutes of Limitations in New York
If you’ve been hurt in an accident that wasn’t your fault, it’s vital to contact an automobile accident lawyer as soon as possible to preserve critical evidence. The statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim in New York is three years from the date of the accident or injury. If you’re pursuing a wrongful death claim, you must file it within two years of the date of your loved one’s death.
Our Team is Dedicated to Making Things Right for Injured Victims
Attempting to recover compensation from insurance companies can be frustrating and overwhelming, especially when you’re trying to focus on healing from your injuries. Unfortunately, even your own auto insurer may not have your best interests in mind. It can be tempting to accept the first settlement offer presented, as many injured victims worry about how they’ll pay their bills and support their families. Insurance companies take advantage of people in this vulnerable position, and initially offer minimal settlement amounts or deny claims. Do not sign anything or accept a settlement without first speaking to our New York car accident lawyers. We handle all communications and negotiations with insurers so you can concentrate on your recovery.
Unlike lawyers at some other automobile accident law firms, we do not accept inadequate settlements just to quickly resolve cases. Our attorneys are experienced litigators who know their way around a courtroom. If a reasonable settlement can’t be reached, we won’t hesitate to fight for your rights in court. Our car accident lawyers take pride in recovering maximum compensation for our clients, whether acquired via settlement negotiations or awarded by a jury.
Why Choose Our Automobile Accident Attorneys?
Our personal injury attorneys in New York work as a team to stay focused on our clients. When it comes to case evaluation, strategy, and decision-making, our collaborative approach offers a range of experience, knowledge, and viewpoints. We dedicate all available resources to each case to ensure continuity in case development and provide the personalized attention and results you deserve.
Schedule a Consultation with a New York Auto Accident Lawyer
Over the past 50 years, our car accident attorneys at the Lynn Law Firm have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for clients in Syracuse, Binghamton, Watertown, Utica, and throughout the state of New York. To schedule a free case evaluation, contact us online or call 315-474-1267 today.
Contact us for a Free Consultation with our Team
Over the past 50 years, the attorneys at the Lynn Law Firm have recovered millions of dollars for persons injured in automobile accidents, from the more routine rear-end collision, to the tragic reckless driving fatality.
Some of these cases have had unique facts, with more complex evidentiary challenges. The Lynn Law Firm attorneys are well-experienced to meet any such challenges, and have amassed experienced and qualified experts to assist where needed. Such cases have included reckless driving, Dram Shop lawsuits against bars and restaurants that served intoxicated patrons who subsequently caused motor vehicle accidents, construction vehicle accidents, motorcycle accidents, tractor trailer accidents, snow plow accidents, accidents involving police and rescue vehicles, accidents due in part to improper road design, signage or traffic control devices, school bus accidents and pedestrian-vehicle accidents of every variety.
Examples of Resolved Cases
for a man who suffered back and neck injuries caused by an unsafe lane change.
for a woman who suffered the traumatic amputation of her lower right leg in a recreational vehicle/tractor trailer accident.
for a plaintiff-passenger who suffered a brain injury in a motor vehicle involved in a collision with a tractor trailer.
for a young mother of three children who suffered brain injuries in a collision with a tractor trailer.
jury verdict for a pedestrian who suffered an amputation as a result of an automobile accident.
for a young working man who suffered a traumatic amputation and other serious injuries in an automobile accident.
- $3,500,000 for a couple injured in a head-on collision.
- $1,800,000 for a woman who suffered the traumatic amputation of her lower right leg in a recreational vehicle/tractor trailer accident.
- $1,200,000 for a plaintiff-passenger who suffered a brain injury in a motor vehicle involved in a collision with a tractor trailer.
- $740,000 for a plaintiff-pedestrian hit by a motor vehicle.
- $279,000 for a plaintiff-passenger in a motor vehicle accident.
- $800,000 for wrongful death of an elderly couple hit by an overloaded construction vehicle.
- $1,000,000 for a passenger in a motor vehicle hit by a milk tanker truck.
- $2,500,000 for a young mother of three children who suffered brain injuries in a collision with a tractor trailer.
- $2,200,000 for an elderly gentleman who suffered a closed-head injury when struck by a commercial vehicle.
- $8,200,000 jury verdict for a pedestrian who suffered an amputation as a result of an automobile accident.
- $1,300,000 for a pedestrian seriously injured in a hit-and-run collision.
- $2,900,000 for a young woman and a mother of three injured in a pedestrian/bus accident.
- $1,650,000 for a woman injured in an automobile accident.
- $7,600,000 for a young working man who suffered a traumatic amputation and other serious injuries in an automobile accident.
- $700,000 for the Estate of a young woman who was struck by a Sheriff’s patrol vehicle.
- $4,700,000 for injuries to an expectant mother involved in a motor vehicle accident that caused premature birth, leading to developmental delays in the infant.
- $1,200,000 for the Estate of a man killed after striking tractor trailer that was backing into a driveway and blocking roadway.
- $400,000 for the Estate of a woman killed after running into the back of a snowplow.
- $425,000 for a teenage boy struck by a car while rollerblading.
- $3,500,000 for a couple struck head-on by another vehicle, resulting in multiple injuries.
- $875,000 for a tow truck driver who suffered spinal injuries as a result of being struck by a vehicle while working in the roadway.
- $750,000 for a man struck by a commercial vehicle while he was inspecting his car after a minor accident.
- $755,000 for a passenger in a car involved in a rollover accident.
- $1,100,000 for a man who suffered back and neck injuries caused by an unsafe lane change.