Although hitting the road on your bike is an enjoyable way to spend a beautiful day, being hurt in a motorcycle crash can have far-reaching consequences. For more than 50 years, our motorcycle accident law firm has represented injured victims in Syracuse and throughout New York. If you’ve been injured or have lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence, our motorcycle accident lawyers at the Lynn Law Firm can evaluate your case and advise you of your options.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in New York
Most motorcycle accidents occur because other drivers fail to see motorcyclists on the road, especially at intersections where vehicles are making left turns. Our attorneys are well-versed in New York traffic and motorcycle laws. We‘re dedicated to holding negligent drivers accountable and helping you recover the compensation you need and deserve.
Motorcycle accidents are often caused by:
Distracted drivers –Texting, talking on the phone, eating, and other dangerous behaviors can lead to tragedy when a driver fails to see a motorcyclist.
Drunk driving – Drugs and alcohol can slow reaction time, impair driving ability, and cloud your judgment. Driving or riding your motorcycle while under the influence poses a hazard to everyone on the road.
Failure to check blind spots –When a driver fails to check their blind spots before changing lanes or turning and hits a motorcycle, the results can be disastrous.
Speeding or reckless driving –The faster a vehicle is traveling, the longer it takes to stop to prevent a collision. Driving at an excessive speed or weaving in and out of traffic puts motorcyclists and other drivers at serious risk.
Malfunctioning or defective parts – Brake failure, defective tires, and other issues can cause serious accidents and injury. In cases involving defective products, the designer, manufacturer, or distributor of the parts or motorcycle may be liable for damages.
Determining the cause of a motorcycle crash is vital to proving negligence in a personal injury claim. Our skilled team thoroughly investigates the circumstances surrounding motor vehicle accidents, collects vital evidence, and puts it all together to create a solid case. If necessary, we may use accident reconstructionists to help us figure out how a crash happened and who is at fault.
Injuries Sustained in Motorcycle Accidents
Even the most careful, conscientious riders can be injured due to no fault of their own. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2020, an estimated 82,528 motorcyclists were injured and 5,579 were killed on roadways in the United States. This is the highest number of motorcycle fatalities since the Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) began in 1975.
Due to the lack of protection surrounding them, motorcyclists are much more vulnerable to serious injuries than other drivers. Some common motorcycle accident injuries include:
- Broken or crushed bones
- Head and brain injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
- Neck, back, and spine injuries
- Road rash
- Facial disfigurement
- Soft tissue injuries
- Shoulder, knee, wrist, and ankle injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
- Psychological conditions such as PTSD and anxiety
If someone you love was killed in a crash, our motorcycle accident attorneys can evaluate your case and help you file a wrongful death claim if warranted.
Recovering Damages in Motorcycle Accident Cases
Treatment for motorcycle accident injuries can be extensive and costly. An injured victim may require long hospital stays, multiple surgeries, rehabilitation services, home modifications, and lifelong nursing care. In addition to dealing with physical pain, they may suffer from psychological scars as well.
The attorneys at our motorcycle accident law firm understand how to accurately value your claim. Our team approach puts all of our available resources to work for you – we utilize our combined knowledge and experience to work toward the best possible outcomes for our clients. Depending on the circumstances, you may be entitled to compensation for damages such as:
- Past and future lost income
- Past and future medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment
- Loss of consortium
Although it’s rare, New York does allow injured victims to sue for punitive damages. These types of damages are only appropriate when a defendant’s conduct is particularly egregious or deliberately harmful.
It’s common for injured victims and their families to underestimate the physical, emotional, and financial costs of a motorcycle accident. If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, do not sign anything or accept a settlement without first speaking to an experienced personal injury lawyer.
Why Choose Us?
Motorcycle accident claims are complex and require the skills and experience of seasoned legal professionals. Our personal injury attorneys have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for clients in Syracuse, Binghamton, Watertown, Utica, and throughout the state of New York. We handle all negotiations and communications with insurers so you can focus on healing. Our lawyers are tenacious negotiators and skilled litigators who will take your case to court if a reasonable settlement cannot be reached. At the Lynn Law Firm, we care about our clients and always keep your best interests at the forefront of everything we do.
Contact Our Motorcycle Accident Law Firm in Syracuse
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a motorcycle accident in New York, our team at the Lynn Law Firm can help. To schedule a free, no-obligation case evaluation, contact us online or call 315-474-1267 today.
Contact us for a Free Consultation with our Team
Over the past 50 years, the attorneys at the Lynn Law Firm have recovered millions of dollars for persons injured in motorcycle accidents, from the more routine rear-end collision, to the tragic reckless driving fatality.
Examples of Resolved Cases
for a man who suffered back and neck injuries caused by an unsafe lane change.
for a woman who suffered the traumatic amputation of her lower right leg in a recreational vehicle/tractor trailer accident.
for a plaintiff-passenger who suffered a brain injury in a motor vehicle involved in a collision with a tractor trailer.
- $3,500,000 for a couple injured in a head-on collision.
- $1,800,000 for a woman who suffered the traumatic amputation of her lower right leg in a recreational vehicle/tractor trailer accident.
- $1,200,000 for a plaintiff-passenger who suffered a brain injury in a motor vehicle involved in a collision with a tractor trailer.
- $740,000 for a plaintiff-pedestrian hit by a motor vehicle.
- $279,000 for a plaintiff-passenger in a motor vehicle accident.
- $800,000 for wrongful death of an elderly couple hit by an overloaded construction vehicle.
- $1,000,000 for a passenger in a motor vehicle hit by a milk tanker truck.
- $2,500,000 for a young mother of three children who suffered brain injuries in a collision with a tractor trailer.
- $2,200,000 for an elderly gentleman who suffered a closed-head injury when struck by a commercial vehicle.
- $8,200,000 jury verdict for a pedestrian who suffered an amputation as a result of an automobile accident.
- $1,300,000 for a pedestrian seriously injured in a hit-and-run collision.
- $2,900,000 for a young woman and a mother of three injured in a pedestrian/bus accident.
- $1,650,000 for a woman injured in an automobile accident.
- $7,600,000 for a young working man who suffered a traumatic amputation and other serious injuries in an automobile accident.
- $700,000 for the Estate of a young woman who was struck by a Sheriff’s patrol vehicle.
- $4,700,000 for injuries to an expectant mother involved in a motor vehicle accident that caused premature birth, leading to developmental delays in the infant.
- $1,200,000 for the Estate of a man killed after striking tractor trailer that was backing into a driveway and blocking roadway.
- $400,000 for the Estate of a woman killed after running into the back of a snowplow.
- $425,000 for a teenage boy struck by a car while rollerblading.
- $3,500,000 for a couple struck head-on by another vehicle, resulting in multiple injuries.
- $875,000 for a tow truck driver who suffered spinal injuries as a result of being struck by a vehicle while working in the roadway.
- $750,000 for a man struck by a commercial vehicle while he was inspecting his car after a minor accident.
- $755,000 for a passenger in a car involved in a rollover accident.
- $1,100,000 for a man who suffered back and neck injuries caused by an unsafe lane change.